Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Speed up!


Potsdamer Platz at night
Originally uploaded by amsterboy.
I have noticed a worrying feature in myself lately. I can not really point out a single reason but I feel that my span of concentration has gotten shorter. I am rather often faced by this strong feeling of impatience.

I have wondered at times whether it has to do with the years in student politics where I was the one making sure we stay on time and working a lot with politicians with appr. 10 minutes to listen to your message.

Of course one of the reasons could also be email, mobile phone, iPod, urban life (see pic) etc. But although I want to fight against this impatient feeling, I will not react in the way that many do, meaning getting rid of modern technology and going back to retro life in the country side. Don't really see the point of that. And I love cities. Nostalgia is not my solution.

I have tried to re-educate myself by reading more books and research articles. I often have this feeling that I should be doing million different things but then I just force myself to close the laptop and open a book. As I have stated before, especially when I am travelling I get this desire for text. I love that feeling. Lately it has emerged when reading Pirjo Hassinen's praised novel Jouluvaimo. She writes with an incredible passion. Or as a literature-oriented friend of mine said it: in a bitchy way.

I wonder how other people react to this or whether they even experience this impatience. Would be brilliant to hear.

No comments: