Friday, June 17, 2005

Don't become a dummy


fightmannequism
Originally uploaded by amsterboy.
I ran into this campaign today when opening my browser. It took me some time to grasp the idea but after that I really liked Fight Mannequinism. It is an initiative of Ad Council (advertisement sector people doing good) and Federal Voting Assistance Program. Yes, they are American.

Basically the message is that one should fight against becoming a plastic dummy and get active. I don't know if this works but the campaign material is supercool.

This continues the tradition of excellent campaigns from the U.S. lately to activate young people. I really like Rock The Vote as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, ok. The idea to activate young people to thinking about issues themselves is ofcourse good. I have to say that a better tv commercial could have been made about this subject than what they have come up with. Apparently the website works, if it got you to browse through it. Or did it actually since you are abnormally active allready? I have doubts that a nonactive youngster will be hooked on this campaign material.

Tommi Laitio said...

You may have a point there, sis. I am far from being part of the target group of this sort of campaigns.

This reminds me of a discussion I have had a few times with my friend Maria who is a master of youth television. There are so few people who really understand what young people really want and what works. There is very often a strong tendency for undermining the intelligence of young people but also neglect to the different way of expressing concerns.

I guess that is one of the reasons why ad agency people are well paid.

Tommi Laitio said...

Forgot one point:
a problem of this campaign could be that there is no clear message on why people should be active. We should you not be a mannequin? And what is the use of this being active -thingie? In this sense Tom Bentley truly has a point in his Everyday Democracy essay about giving power and responsibility.

Anonymous said...

Yes, exactly! You will have a long career in advertising, should you ever swing this way, because you ask the right questions there. :)