Monday, August 15, 2005

An Amsterdammer in Helsinki


The Helsinki Cathedral
Originally uploaded by amsterboy.
Last week of summer holiday started today. I am spending it in Helsinki meeting friends etc.

It is coming clearer after every visit: my hometown is Amsterdam, not Helsinki. I do not have a home in this town although my parents live here. I come to Helsinki for special occasions, not for living.

This notion has odd implications. I am starting to act like a tourist. Of course it is connected to the fact that I am having my holidays but still I don't feel like cooking, I go out very often and I plan to visit a number of museums. I even considered at one point to go to the Tourist Office to ask what one can do in Helsinki.

The World Championships in Athletics ended yesterday. I would figure that most of tourists head home today or during the coming days. The games have been quite visible on the streets of this city of half a million inhabitants. The amount of languages has made me feel like I would be - yes - abroad.

p.s. The biggest piece of news during the last week has been the helicopter accident outside Tallinn. Fourteen people died and they still do not know what happened. I noticed on Saturday when helicopters buzzed above Helsinki because of the marathon that my first reaction was: Oops, that could come down.

No comments: