Thursday, November 24, 2005

Woke up late


PDR_0640
Originally uploaded by GermanPickle.

A Finnish friend of mine who is working in Brussels was visiting me last weekend. He was totally excited. The reason was something you would not expect: talk radio. He had found the world of podcasts.

I decided to give it a try encouraged by his enthusiasm. I clicked the ´Podcasts´ button of my iTunes. I wrote YLE to the search field and selected from the list the following:
Kulttuurilehtikatsaus (review on cultural magazines)
Aikakauslehtikatsaus (review on weeklies and other magazines)
Kotimaan viikkopeili (weekly update on domestic politics)

It was really simple. The system now updates the latest versions to my iTunes and then to my iPod. I listen the five-minute programmes while cycling to work. A new world has opened for me.

I know I am embarrasingly late with this finding. I also started now with a ultra-safe option, i.e. Finnish public broadcaster. Maybe in a few weeks I will have the courage to experiment. But there are so many options. Only if someone could recommend great podcasts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I left a comment to your previous post so why not ruin this one too - just heard that Tatsiana from Belarus will be expelled from her University tomorrow due to being elected for ESIB's EC. Now there's a wake up call for you, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, "Mielipidelehtikatsaus" is also worth listening to. And if you have time, YleQ:n "miten minusta tuli minä". At the moment tey're featuring presidential candidates but in the archives you'll find actors etc.