Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Socially alone


nefeli afternoon
Originally uploaded by
cdmeliza.
I have realised that because my work is rather social, I often have the need to spend time by myself. In that sense travelling from once place to another a couple of hours is something I truly enjoy.

I enjoy spending time alone in places filled with people. I like the sound of several overlapping discussions where it is starting to be difficult to hear what people are talking about. I often feel that it is even easier to concentrate when there´s noise. I have problems concentrating in silence because I start listening to every single squeek or crack.

I spent yesterday evening at de Balie reading a memo on participatory media. I love combining a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, nice surroundings and thought-provoking text. As Jonathan Franzen stated it, be reading you learn to be alone.

I ended my evening with Sydney Pollack´s The Interpreter. A bit silly but good entertainment. And I have always been a fan of the United Nations so a film shot inside the headquarters works for me. And let´s face it, Nicole Kidman does not make mistakes. She is close to perfection.

No comments: