Monday, April 04, 2005

Go, TV, go!

You know these people who say that there is nothing interesting on television. I disagree. I have to admit that I like TV. The reason for not having TV in Finland for two years was not because I didn´t like it. I would say quite the opposite: I love it.

In the Netherlands my ultimate TV day is Sunday. It was rather special already when it consisted of the politicall incorrect Ali G in the USA, the fabulously moving Six feet under and my long-time favourite West Wing. But yesterday topped it all. I saw The Kumars at No. 42 for the first time.

Hilarious is not enough to describe it. I was laughing out loud. The Kumars are an Indian family living in London who built a tv studio to their backyard. It is absolutely super. Maybe part of the dialogue explains why. The son Sanjeev hosts a new talk show (in the backyard studio) and they had the actor Richard E. Grant as a guest. While Sanjeev is interviewing, the rest of the family (mom, dad and granny) sit on the sofa. Yesterday the father Ashwin interrupted the interview. The dialogue went as follows:

Ashwin: Mr Grant, it is true that you are from Swaziland, right?
Grant: Yes.
Ashwin: I just realised one thing. We are both immigrants and we are both succesful.
Grant (laughing): Yes.
Ashwin: But to most of the people in Britain we are just two black persons.

Ab. Fab. Super. More of this. Don´t ask me to leave my apartment on Sunday evenings. Unless you have a television.

No comments: