Thursday, May 19, 2005

A different approach


san francisco 4-04
Originally uploaded by
fortune cookie.
My department (Political Science, University of Helsinki) did a two-year research on why women are so heavily underrepresented. It is amazing if you look at the statistics of Johanna Kantola´s research. Women have been the majority of students already for long but currently there are for instance no female professors.

I had a discussion once with a professor of mine whether feminism is a relevant topic in political science or not. If I would choose, I would do it in a way like at Tampere University where feminist approach to politics is a compulsory course.

An interesting example of how gender gives a different perspective on the world is Women´s eNews. I would especially recommend checking their list of Leaders of the 21st century.

No comments: