Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Do what you love

I have been enjoying my work tremendously during the last weeks. Things have gone forward, people have been giving good feedback. Also on the freelancer side I have done a few really brilliant interviews. And to add to this, I have hanged around with cool and nice people and read excellent journalism and literature. I like my life.


iBook G4 Keyboard
Originally uploaded by
mbanzon.

I found this speech that Mr. Apple Steve Jobs had given at Stanford in June. It is interesting. In a way he is reproducing the American dream (you can make it, take risks, from rags to riches) but then again he makes a lot of sense. I am confused. He is restating the old argument that we should only do things we enjoy - or to be more precise, what we love. Is he just a lucky guy, is this a horrible way of seeing the world or is he really smart? I don´t really know.

He goes through a number of misfortunes in his life and explains how they made him grow. He states that the thing that kept him going was his passion to create something new. Again, it would be easy to be cynical. But these kind of stories remind me quite strongly of the Finnish wonderboy
Linus Torvalds. Pekka Himanen explained once the Linus' Law that shows the different motivations behind open and closed innovations. I think it makes sense. The same tone can be recognised from Jobs' speech. If you want to strive for your dreams or help the people around you, you are not scared of other people benefiting from your findings or other people helping you out.

No comments: