Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Name of the blog

Well, it is kiplekker. It refers to the language I am struggling with at the moment. I mean Dutch. Kiplekker is a word that shows in a brilliant way some features of this funny language. Kip means chicken and lekker means fun or brilliant. So those combined means super fun. Or something like that. Maybe someone who is Dutch can correct me with that. But I have understood that when you say that you´re kiplekker, you´re doing superbly.

I love the Dutch language. It is very direct, short words and people sound jolly when they speak it. Also the word prima (excellent) belongs to my favourites. The language is filled with this short words like straks (soon), sla (lettuce), zuid (south), file (traffic jam) and fiets (bike).

It is a completely new situation for me, coming from Finland, being in this multi-lingual surrounding where I active use Finnish, Swedish, German, English and some Dutch. Would like to improve them all. With English I do a bit the same as Alfie in the film with the same name. I mean learning one peculiar or fancy word a day. I recommend the email service I use. Today´s word is incogitant meaning inconsiderate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tommi,
my dictionary says about KIPLEKKER:
"as fit as a fiddle, as right as rain, on top of the world, in the pink
(Amerikaans-Engels ook: ) like a million dollars"

the dictionary translates "ik voel me kiplekker" as: "I feel as fit as a fiddle" (I know 'kiplekker' actually only in this expression)

I'm not familiar with the English expressions above, so I don't know what the best stranslation is -- but find it as name for your weblog brilliant. doing a good job, boy :)

Funny word although, kiplekker. I love the part lekker. I could give a lot of translations of it.
- deliciously
- tastful
- nice
- good
- yummie
- sweet
- pleasant
- well
- fine
- all right
- fit

lekker is also used in a sentence like: "I'm going to do it anyway!" (= ik doe het lekker toch!)

but my favorite use of 'lekker' is in the expression lekker ding :p