Thursday, March 31, 2005

Keep singing

A new day. It is amazing to notice that the amount of light here in Amsterdam is so significantly different at this time of the year compared to my home country. It really influences me in a highly positive way. And the fact that I really do not need a jacket when cycling to work feels amazing. I guess I am the only one who does NOT complain about the Dutch weather.

I was reading the latest issue of The Economist yesterday evening. They had an article about the suggested reforms of the United Nations. As this magazine that belongs to my alltime favourites alongside with Prospect pointed out, the reforms will not fix all the problems but would create more ground for achievements. I liked the way the Chief of Staff of Kofi Annan had pointed out that there is something painful for all the member states in the proposal.

I have to admit that I have always had a highly romanticised attitude towards the UN. I really don´t know why. Despite all its problems I realise that the UNICEF image is much stronger in my head. I mean the children with different backgrounds holding hands and singing. I was last October in New York visiting a friend of mine who worked for the UN as an intern. Her stories were not all that rosy but still the children keep singing. It even reminds me of this funny/campy Italian children´s programme where the child choir is singing and shaking their heads along the music. I guess most of my friends at least in Finland remember that.

No comments: